Sunday, June 14, 2015

My Thoughts on Bullying.

I recently read an article about bullying that really helped me get a better understanding of what to look for when I start teaching. The article was from http://www.scholastic.com. I liked this article because it gave me an idea of what to look for in the victims of bullying, and what can happen if the bullying continues.
          The article states, “Bullying is a behavior that is prevalent throughout the world and it cuts across socio-economic, racial/ethnic, and cultural lines. Researchers estimate that 20 to 30 percent of school aged kids are involved in some form of bullying.” That is a pretty big statistic to me. I feel like we as a society should teach our children that it is wrong to bully another person. I understand that it has a lot to do with the child’s background, but I think we need to be more proactive about teaching our children about how it is wrong to bully someone. I also feel that we should teach our children that even though they do not physically abuse someone, they could be being a bully by just excluding certain kids or calling people names.
          For teachers and parents, there are some different ways you can tell if your child is being bullied. One thing that will likely happen is his or her grades will drop. The grades drop because instead of listening to the teacher the student is worried about what they did wrong, and who will sit with them at lunch. If the problem persists, they could grow up and have self-esteem issues or depression. Bullies are affected too, research shows that they have difficulty forming positive relationships, and are more prone to criminal activity.

          There are many ways you can help a child who is being bullied. One thing you can do is give the child some space to talk. Once you give them space to talk, get them to explain what has been happening. After you find out what the problems are, teach the child how to respond to the bully, and go through scenarios with the child about how to respond if something like that happens in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment